Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. This week we’re sharing advice for new bloggers. I’m not going to lie, I feel way under-qualified to advise anyone. Most of this sounds like advice I give to my kids about school.
1. Be Yourself- Don’t change for anyone else, don’t hide who you are or what you love. Chances are, if you’re a blogger, you’re a super-nerd… so embrace it. (Nerds are hot anyway, as we’ve discussed).
It sort of reminds me of the Blind Melon video (did I just totally date myself or what?). I always hated the song, but I loved the video with the little girl dressed as a bumble bee. Everyone laughs at her and she just doesn’t fit in, but she keeps wearing that darn bumble bee costume and she keeps on dorking it up until she find herself a big ‘ol group of other bumble bee geeks and yea! everyone can dance around and be happy. Anyway, blogging is sort of like that. You won’t fit in everywhere, but sooner or later you’ll find your place.
2. Do What You Love- Blog about what you love, or at least what you feel passionately about. If you’re a book blogger, don’t feel compelled to read the books everyone is raving about because you think you “should” (for example, I have to avoid faerie books, even though people love them. This is because faerie books make me want to stab myself in the eye). And don’t feel you have to review every book offered to you. Yes, it’s wonderful that people want you to read their books, but the outcome will be better for all parties if you go after the projects that truly interest you and if you’re writing about what you love. For me, that was YA books (with a need to talk about the characters that make my heart go pitter patter).
3. Make Friends- Visit other blogs, read other blogs, comment and participate in features. It’s fun to see how others do things and to make new friends along the way. And always play nicely.
4. Be Social- Link up your Twitter, your Goodreads, your Facebook, and your Tumblr to your blog. I mean, I haven’t done any of this because I’m too lazy to figure it out, but I think it’s a good idea.
5. Unleash Your Inner Geek- This goes back to being yourself. Write freely and with humor. Let the way you talk and think truly shine through. Enjoy yourself.
6. Link your business up- Link up your posts so that people have an opportunity to see other pages. Like, did you know that me and The Cullen have something in common? Guess you have to read for yourself. See how I just slipped a link in there? Try it.
7. Be Brief- Yeah, I’m not always good here, but most people skim blogs, so get to the freaking point already!
8. Be Organized- Set up a calendar and schedule your posts. Then write them as far in advance as possible and schedule them to post automatically. And stick to your dates. It makes life so much easier (then you have more time to read)!
9. Have fun! Otherwise, why are you doing this?
That’s all I’ve got!