Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the wonderful ladies The Broke and The Bookish. This week I get to vent (not that I’m shy about that, but today I do it with purpose). This week’s topic is Frustrating Characters. And gurl, it’s mostly chicks. Of course. I mean, this is because 99.9% of the books I read are from a female perspective. And some of these are characters I absolutely love, but they still bug me sometimes. So here goes:
1. Bella Swan (Twilight Series)- I know, right? Will she be on every single Top Ten list today? Probably most. But Bella, you have got to calm that obsessive, I’m no one without my ocher-eyed guy shizz down stat. It’s obnoxious. Also, just FYI, I don’t care what anyone says, no, you cannot be in love with two people at once. Oh, and I hate you, kthanksbye.
2. America Singer(The Selection)- There are so many things I love about this girl, but SPOILER ALERT, the things she does in the castle, right under Prince Maxon’s nose near the end of the book? Well, they practically gave me a heart attack. So, so stupid. I get it, but it was a bad decision. It makes for a great story though.
3. Katniss Everdeen (The Hunger Games)- You are one of my favorite characters ever, but wow, you are clueless about guys. I suffered from this affliction as a teenager too, but really? You didn’t know Gale loved you? You thought Peeta was just playing the game back there in the first arena? Hello.
4. Rose (The Vampire Academy)- I think you’re a bitch and I don’t like you.
5. Lilly Moscovitz (The Princess Diaries)- There are times I love you and since you are a Moscovitz I assume that overall you’re good, but man you’re mean to Mia. Totally sassy, unsupportive and mean. Sometimes.
6. Toby (The Sky Is Everywhere)- Finally a boy! Toby, I feel bad for you, I really do, but it’s really creepy the way you stare at your dead girlfriend’s little sister and want to make out with her all the time. I know you’re sad but that’s just full of suck. Back off.
7. Ever (Evermore)- I don’t want to hear anymore about the invisible shield between your lips and Damen’s (who is admittedly smokin hot). Or about the depths of your amazing love that has spanned hundreds of years. I love the idea behind your story, but your thoughts annoy me. I’m sorry (but not really).
8. Jessica Darling (Sloppy First, etc)- I really love her and enjoyed this series, but I wanted to slap her so many times. I’d totally be friends with her though (and I’d drool over Marcus).
9. Edward Cullen (Twilight)- Edward and Bella are my bookends today. I love Edward. He’s beautiful and swoony (although, a little too perfect at times), but I hate that he left Bella with no real explanation for their breakup in New Moon. It was crappy and made for a boring book. I also hate that he accepted her whole lame story about being in love with two people (but we’ve already gone over that) and blamed Jacob for the kiss in Eclipse (when Bella was equally at fault). Also, Edward, you don’t remove parts of your girlfriend’s car so she can’t drive and you don’t sneak in her room to watch her sleep. It’s creepy!