Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and The Bookish.
This week we’re talking about authors who deserve more recognition. Oh, I’m probably so bad at this one. My head is so involved in my own bookish world that I’m not totally sure who loves who (or whom. Both. Whatever). All I know is, there are certain authors I absolutely adore who aren’t necessarily blockbuster Meg Cabots or Sarah Dessens (and I love both of them) but who’ve still gotten awards and acclaim and yet, when I recommend their books to friends–those who are bookish but who perhaps aren’t part of the blogging community– they’ve never heard of them! What the what?!!! I know. It’s a travesty, I tell you. So let’s give them some love.
1. Jandy Nelson- OMG, The Sky Is Everywhere. Read it. Weep. Laugh. Fall in Love. Then pine to read it again. Nelson’s writing is beautifully delicious.
2. Holly Goldberg Sloan- I’ll Be There made me cry and smile and swoon (tiny swoons, but good ones all the same). It had my heart from the first pages and sang to me all the way through. When I flagged Ms. Sloan down at the LA Times festival of books (um, yeah, I have no shame), she was surprised that I owned her book and wanted it signed. What? More people need to fall in love with this one.
3. Sara Zarr- Zarr seems so well-known and has gotten such accolades for her books, but it astonishes me how few people I know who’ve read her books. She has a beautiful, simplistic, melancholy way of telling stories that dig right into your soul.
4. Robin Benway- Holy crabcakes, this girl is funny. I loved Also Known As and am presently devouring Audrey, Wait. It’s hilarious. So cute. And I have it on good authority that The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May and June is adorable. And I’d never heard of her until this year. Obviously this is my bad, but I’m sure there are people just like me who need a funny, witty read and Benway would be the perfect girl for them.
5. Leila Sales- This is another funny girl. I love her quirky, quirky characters. The MC’s always make me laugh; she writes interesting parents and friendships, and all of her characters feel so real.
6. E.Lockhart- This girl is the ultimate witty lady. Her books crack me up. They’re full of funny people and very smart heroines. You’ll love her, I swear.
7. Rainbow Rowell- Have you fallen in serious love with Eleanor & Park yet? Rowell writes great dialogue, incorporates romance and humor and, hold the phone, is somewhat of a music connoisseur, which makes her writing pretty much perfect in my eyes.
8. Sarah Ockler- This woman can write such beautiful pain and romance. I know a lot of people love her books, but I don’t think enough people recognize how immensely talented she is. Her words are so carefully constructed and her stories so vivid.
9. Melina Marchetta- I know many people love her, but NOT ENOUGH. Everything Marchetta writes is golden, pure perfection. She nails every emotion, creates amazing worlds–whether contemporary or fantasy– and makes you fall in love with every heroine and hero she places there. It doesn’t get better than her books. Hands down, one of my all-time favorite authors.