Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. This week’s subject is the Top Ten Books Whose Covers or Titles Made Me Buy Them. Friends, this one was hard. I mean, you read YA. You’ve seen the covers. I submit for your approval:
Need I say more? No. If you’ve ever walked through the YA section of the bookstore, you know what we’re up against.
Still, after much thought, I was able to come up with a list:
1. Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare– This caught my eye on a Borders (remember them?) bookshelf. I’ll be honest. I thought the guy was cute and I liked his hat (I’m shallow that way). This was my first Cassandra Clare and I loved it, all thanks to my soft spot for men in hats.
2. Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn’t Have) by Sarah Mylnowski– I’ve probably said this twenty-five times but I’ll say it again. I really need to review this book. In truth, I read it because I heard such wonderful things about it, but I ADORE this cover. Do you see how cute this boy and girl are? I sometimes stare at it, willing them to kiss. Really.
3. The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han– Whoa mama, I got some serious crap for this one when I brought it home. The husband practically gagged when he saw the title. But the cover, oh the cover. I was drawn in the moment I saw it. I hadn’t heard a word about it yet, but the image of Belly (she was so sweet and pretty) and the boys standing behind her just totally enveloped me.
4. Abandon by Meg Cabot– OK, I didn’t actually buy this because I received an ARC, but still…I would have bought it solely based on the cover because it is gorgeous. It’s my favorite of all Meg Cabot’s book covers.
5. Sweethearts by Sara Zarr– I don’t own this one (though I need to buy it because I love it). I read it based on a great recommendation, but I love this cover too. If I’d seen it, I would have bought it without a word because it has a cookie on it. A cookie! Sadly, no one makes cookies in this story, but it’s still amazing.
6. Entwined by Heather Dixon– Again, I do not own this one, but I knew I wanted to read it the moment I saw the cover. It is completely magical (as is the story) and leaves you wondering if the girl is running away from something or toward something . Also, I’ll admit it. I’m a total girl. I love the dress!
7. The Godmother by Carrie Adams– This book is not YA, but I wandered past it in Target many times and it always caught my eye. I can’t explain why, I just liked it. It was a cute book, but sadder than I expected.
8. The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffennegger– I read this years ago, before there was a movie and before I was looking up book reviews online. I saw it in Target (can you tell I spend alot of time there?) and the image of the shoes and the blanket just sort of called out to me. I’m SO glad I picked it up because it is the most, beautiful, amazing story and truly is my all-time favorite book. I know I say that all the time, but humor me. It make me feel good to say it.
9. Jane Austen Ruined My Life by Beth Pattillo– I’ll be honest, I didn’t love this book, but when I see the cover I still want to sigh. It’s so pretty and romantic and sort evokes a sense of drama. Also, I love the dress, okay?
10. Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour by Morgan Matson– Headless people aren’t usually my thing, but I love this cover. You know what it says to me? Roadtrip! And you know what else? Roadtrip with a cute guy (because why else would you go on a roadtrip with him or hold his hand? He’s automatically cute, in my head at least). And this book is so adorable.