One of the things I love most about YA is the swooniness of the heroes. They can be mysterious, sometimes dangerous, or even kinda nerdy (oh geeks, you slay me with your tech knowledge and hidden hotness), and sometimes they’re the best friend who has been waiting on the sidelines the whole time (which was like me and Twu Wuv in real life, so I’m very partial to stories like that). Watching them through the eyes of the heroine, experiencing the intensity of first loves—both the romance and the fumbling imperfections—makes me feel, at least for the duration of the book, that I’m on the same roller coaster as she is, reeling in that mix of trepidation and euphoria, and crushing on that guy with her emotions as the driving force. Bottom line: I love how these characters are loved by the girls in their lives and even more, how they love (or even like) them back. Here are some of my favorites, though the list seems to keep growing.
- Michael Moscovitz ( The Princess Diaries) Hands down, my favorite romantic hero. He has no competition and never will (do not try to dissuade me on this because YOU WILL LOSE).
- Adam (If I Stay) He digs that Mia is a nerd and he’s in a band? No brainer.
- Joe Fontaine (The Sky Is Everywhere)- He’s a musician, he speaks french, he’s a major romantic AND a huge dork with a smile the size of Jupiter. Sign me up.
- Warner (The Shatter Me series) Oh he’s a naughty one, isn’t he? But he makes me melt. I can’t explain it because I’m in a puddle. On the floor. Now.
- Wes Baker (The Truth About Forever) Oh Wes, you had me at “Gotcha!”
- Jonah Griggs (Jellicoe Road) His name, to me at least, is actually Jonah effing Griggs. There’s just no other way to say it.
- Conrad Fisher (The Summer series)- I don’t even know where to begin with this one. But I love him. He’s so flawed and so real and loves Belly to the end of the Earth.
- Peter Kavinsky (To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before)- Peter, what is it about him? Is it his sweetness? The way he adores Lara Jean even though she’s not the Party Girl? I can’t put my finger on it, but I read these books over and over and adore every moment, every flirtation, every bit of his cute arrogance.
- Mr. Rochester (Jane Eyre) He’s cranky, but he’s passionate and desperate and funny all at once. I love how he loves Jane and how he teases her. He’s totally flawed and yet somehow still a good man.
- Jay Heaton (The Body Finder series)- He’s the best friend who has always, always loved Violet. It doesn’t get cuter than that.
- Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)– I have a soft spot for funny guys, what can I say? This boy broke my heart and made me laugh more times than I can count. I know everyone loves this one, but he’s pretty worthy of the adoration.
Atticus Finch (To Kill a Mockingbird) I know, I know. Not exactly the swoonworthiest book, but I love Atticus. In fact, I would venture to say he is my favorite character (girl or boy) ever written. And since Gregory Peck played him in the film version, how can I not crush on him? Please!
Henry DeTamble (The Time Traveler’s Wife) Henry, that genetically messed up librarian who unwillingly travels through time, is one of my all-time biggest book crushes. Sigh.
Mr. Knightley (Emma) Emma is my favorite Austen book. Emma and Knightley are best friends and he has loved her forever. It doesn’t get much sweeter. Bonus Factor: He wears hats and breeches. A world of swoons!
24 thoughts on “Tee’s List”
Pingback: The Best Series Evahhhhh! « YA Crush
I would also like to mention Rhett Butler. I’m not old, in fact, I’m 25, and have read all princess diaries books, (and also am a fan of Michael Moscovitz). But the one male character that got me thinking: Man, I wish he was real, (and I’m not even talking about Clark Gable)was Rhett Butler. How can you not like his sarcasm, his truthfulness, his jokes at the wrong time, and his crying when Scarlett fell down the stairs and when he lost his daughter? He is not perfect, but he is charming, funny and has a way with women. And ultimately, doens’t like ladylike behaviour. I am in love with Rhett Butler!
Larissa, sing those Rhett Butler praises! I understand your crush, obviously. That’s why we started this blog. My BF and I made lists of our favorite literary characters and were forever updating the lists and sending pics to each other of who should play them in our movie version of the book (I know. Get a life, right?). I have to confess, I’ve never read Gone With the Wind but your description of Mr. Butler makes me want to. I’ll add it to my list of books to read!
i have to make a case for three more of meg cabot’s heroes. christopher from runaway…clueless is always kinda cute. jesse from the mediator series, cause, you know, he’s hot. and chaz from queen of babble for loving lizzie despite her craziness.
Daphne, you are so right about Jesse and Chaz. Love them. I love how Chaz and his cuteness kind of sneak up on you (at least it did for me) because you’re so focused on Luke. And would you believe I haven’t read the Airhead books? I know nothing of the hotness that is Christopher. Those books are on my list of things to read!
Pingback: Page not found « YA Crush
Pingback: Blue Bloods « YA Crush
Pingback: Gayle Forman owes me a box of Kleenex « YA Crush
Pingback: Where She Went « YA Crush
Pingback: Abandon « YA Crush
Pingback: This Ain’t Yo Mama’s Jane Eyre « YA Crush
Well we don’t have the same taste at all.
Really? You have to tell me who you like now. I’m curious.
OMIGOSH! I love a lot of the guys on your list but my all time favourite would have to be the unfreakingbelievable Joe Fontaine from The Sky is Everywhere, oh how I wish he was real, those eyelashes get me everytime!
He is fabulous (bat, bat). 🙂 I’ve thought about adding Joe and also Jay from The Body Finder books. There are so many crushworthy boy characters!
OMG!! I am sooo in love with Michael Moscovitz.. Best boyfriend EVER!! Can’t believe I got company.. Personally, I got a thing for nerds, computer enthusiasts, dog lovers, scientists … And Michael is all of the above. I rave about Michael to all my friends and I am soo much in love with this guy! ❤ As for the others in your list, I am yet to read those books so maybe I'll comment on those when I read those. But I like Cricket a lot from Lola and the boy next door (nerd! and inventor 😉 )
You are so my people! Michael Moscovitz is numero uno, but I love Cricket. I have a thing for the nerdy, smart guys too…because they’re awesome. 🙂
I fell in love with Michael Moscovitz the first time I read about him. Man I want a guy like who doesn’t. so romantic
I FINALLY read Jellicoe Road. I just wanted to let you know, that since I’m always on this website, I could not stop reading “Jonah Griggs” as “Jonah effing Griggs”. I just couldn’t avoid it xD My brain kept filling the “effing” in.
Mr Knightley is my favourite male lead out of all of Jane Austen’s books. I completely agree, he’s the cutest! But for some reason so many people seem to over look him.
I’ve also been massively crushin’ on Michael Moscovitz since I was 9.
I LOVE JONAH GRIGGS. He is quite possibly my favorite male character EVER. This is one awesome list of guys! 🙂
I love that you have a Princess Diaries reference on here!
MICHAEL MOSCOVITZ! Any Meg C hero in fact! Swoon-worthy! I also absolutely adore Etienne St Clair from Anna and the French Kiss and Mason from Fallen Crest High series by Tijan!
YA heroes are the perfect combination of dreamyness and reality! ❤
MM!! you know it is the best feeling in the world when u find people who think just like you. i’ve got to say you and Vee are most probably my long lost sisters